Injured eagle released to the wild
Mar 21, 2012 | 2419 views | 1 1 comments | 18 18 recommendations | email to a friend | print
Dee Cauley releases Fury on March 15.  The eagle was found suffering from severe lead poisoning nearly one year ago.  After months of rehabilitation work at Second Chance Wildlife Rehabilitation in Price, she was ready to be released. Keith Cauley photo
view slideshow (2 images)
Fury, a female eagle captured last April near the Monticello Airport, was released into the wild at the end of the old airport runway.

Keith and Dee Cauley found her while photographing.  She could not fly so they had to run her down until she was tired and then put her into a cage. 

She was sent to Second Chance Wildlife Rehabilitation in Price, UT. Debbie-Souza-Pappas runs the non-profit organization, which is funded only through private donations. 

The eagle was suffering from extreme lead poisoning.  Coyotes, prairie dogs, rabbits, and other prey that eagles eat can be poisonous if they are shot with fragmenting lead bullets. 

The lead gets stuck in the eagle’s craw and cannot be digested. Then the eagles can no longer eat or fly due to malnutrition. 

It took almost one full year of antibiotics, hand massaging the neck to allow the lead to pass through, and careful attention at all times.  The cost for saving this wonderful animal was well over $1,000... all done by the great work of Debbie, the private funding, and veterinarians who donate their time and efforts free of charge. 

The Cauleys ask that these wonderful people get the credit they deserve.  They handle all Division of Natural Resources rehabilitations from the area.

March 15 was the day when Fury was released to return to find her mate. 

Keith Cauley said, “What was really fabulous was the sky was filled with eagles during the release. Ten or more were spotted in the area and many went straight to her when she landed.  It was like they knew she was going to be released.”

The Cauleys add a reminder that green ammo (non-lead) can be used without harming other creatures that feed on varmints.
Comments
(1)
Comments-icon Post a Comment
secondchancewildliferehab
|
March 24, 2012
As the rehabilitator of Fury, I'd like to correct some information in the article. Eagles, or any other animal eating carrion that is filled with lead don't die from the lead blocking the crop, rather, the lead, once ingested, travels through the digestive system, leaching through out the gut. Once this happens, death ususually takes place within a few days while the bird or other victim begins to suffer brain damage, muscle damage and unable to move (fly) or stand, appearing drunk, at this point food is not being consumed and the crop shuts down and anything in the crop cannot be processed. It is one of the most hiddeous deaths you can imagine, long, drawn out, and extremely painful.

Help, if it comes in time, may be able to save the life of the animal, but all too many times, there are long term problems with the animal and euthanasia may be the only option. We were blessed that this victim, Fury, was found before it was too late, but barely.
The San Juan Record welcomes comments on our stories. Please be civil, respectful, focused and humane. Postings are not edited and are the responsibility of the author. You agree not to post comments that are abusive, threatening or obscene. Postings may be removed at the discretion of sjrnews.com