Remodeling the Blanding South Chapel–again
Ben F. Redd was the main carpenter during the construction of the Grayson/Blanding Tabernacle. The heavy pine lumber—no pieces smaller than 2x6 and some as long as 20’—came from the local sawmill. The thousands of bricks for the building were all hand molded and fired by Benjamin D. Black and sons. The mortar was made from lime that came from “west of Pine Nut Knoll” (the knoll with the ‘SJ” on it) and the “sharp” sand they needed came from Westwater. The hard sandstone was also quarried from Westwater by George Arthur Hurst, Sr. He used hand tools to cut out rock slabs 1-3 feet thick and up to 100 feet long. The hand hewn ornamental rock was shaped by professional stonecutters John Tuscher and his sons, Fred and Godfrey.  They were brought in by J.B. Harris’s relative, Henry Ashton, who was an engineer/ building contractor and became the foreman of the building project. George Hurst, Jr. wrote, “It seemed like every time there was sufficient need, somebody showed up who had the ability or training to do the thing required in order to continue the construction of that building.”
view slideshow (14 images)
Located at the top of the north end of the original structure, these old wooden louvers will be replaced.  It was concern over the condition of the roof that began the current remodeling process.  Though the chapel won’t be returned to its original design, the improvements being made will deliver the building into its next century in good condition.
Located at the top of the north end of the original structure, these old wooden louvers will be replaced. It was concern over the condition of the roof that began the current remodeling process. Though the chapel won’t be returned to its original design, the improvements being made will deliver the building into its next century in good condition.
slideshow
This is what the Relief Society room presently looks like. Obviously, it will hold a few of the “surprises”.  Another change that shouldn’t be a surprise is that all of the old creaky radiators and noisy air conditioners have been removed.  The building will maintain its pioneer spirit while providing every modern comfort.
This is what the Relief Society room presently looks like. Obviously, it will hold a few of the “surprises”. Another change that shouldn’t be a surprise is that all of the old creaky radiators and noisy air conditioners have been removed. The building will maintain its pioneer spirit while providing every modern comfort.
slideshow
The east side of the South Chapel with the kitchen nestled in-between the classroom addition and the cultural hall.  The kitchen was the idea of Mabel Hurst, Joe Hurst’s grandmother.  She was the Blanding First Ward Relief Society President at the time the cultural hall was planned.  She got her husband, Phil, to help her draw up the rough draft and then presented it to the building committee. President Leland Redd referred to the kitchen as “Mabel’s little lean-to”. Current work on the rooftops is evident in this photo.
The east side of the South Chapel with the kitchen nestled in-between the classroom addition and the cultural hall. The kitchen was the idea of Mabel Hurst, Joe Hurst’s grandmother. She was the Blanding First Ward Relief Society President at the time the cultural hall was planned. She got her husband, Phil, to help her draw up the rough draft and then presented it to the building committee. President Leland Redd referred to the kitchen as “Mabel’s little lean-to”. Current work on the rooftops is evident in this photo.
slideshow
This 1957 photograph shows the west side before a door replaced the lower right hand window in the classroom addition. Until the 1950’s kitchen addition, there was no west entrance. The classroom addition, completed in 1942, cost just over $29,000.  Frank Hurst was the foreman of this project.
This 1957 photograph shows the west side before a door replaced the lower right hand window in the classroom addition. Until the 1950’s kitchen addition, there was no west entrance. The classroom addition, completed in 1942, cost just over $29,000. Frank Hurst was the foreman of this project.
slideshow
The San Juan Record welcomes comments on our stories. Please be civil, respectful, focused and humane. Postings are not edited and are the responsibility of the author. You agree not to post comments that are abusive, threatening or obscene. Postings may be removed at the discretion of sjrnews.com